Introduction: 3D Printed Dollhouse Flat-Screen TV
As Christmas was approaching I was desperate for a quick gift for my niece and nephew.
I haven't done any 3D printing before so I came up with ideas that could double as a present and as my first projects. After figuring out what the kids are into I chose this flat-screen TV to Elena and a Titanic to Oli.
Although the final object was OK I see plenty of room for improvement so this will be more like a contemplation over missed details than a tutorial. :)
Step 1: Two-Way Use: Stand and Wall Mounting, Part 1.
The screen itself was easy-peasy, I created a model in SketchUp with some details added to it such as edge fillets on the back and a frame on the front.
However, I faced some problems finding a sleek solution for the two-way use; I wanted it to be possible to use on the top of a furniture with a stand but also, mounted on the wall if needed.
The original idea was a sort of kinematic joint (ball or pivot) so it could be used with the stand on the top of a furniture but folding it in an angle would double as a wall mount bracket (e.g. hanging on a screw's head :) ) I have very limited engineering and, prior this project, no 3D printing experience at all and there were two issues to consider: 1.) it should be possible to latch in both positions and 2.) the potential pitfalls of printing joints, like the two parts came out too loose or too tight.
(As I learned later, the printer works with different tolerances vertically and horizontally, thus one needs to take into account this when modelling joints.) Although I am not entirely satisfied with my final solution, I chose to play safe.
Although I am not entirely satisfied with my final solution, I chose to play safe.
Step 2: Stand and Wall Mounting, Part 2.
For good solutions for the problem mentioned above, I should have had more time for research and experiments.
Therefore, I went for a stand and a removable screen instead which can simply sits on the top of the stand. For wall-mounting it needs to be attached with a two-sided tape (I made a long-enough flat part on the back).
Unfortunately, the ledge on the back of the screen has not got any features which could hold it in place preventing the screen from sliding sideways.
Step 3: A Huge Missed Opportunity: Channel Surfing...
Unfortunately, the idea came too late that there could have been an option to switch to different programs other than the one now (which is actually just a plain black, switched-off screen until someone puts a sticker on it). :)
If I had made a slit on the top of the bezel of the screen any picture would have been possible to slide into it. (Preferably, behind a layer of transparent plastic sheet.)
Maybe I will update the project later as it still bothers me that I could have made it a lot better. :)
Step 4: UPDATE: Improved Screen Model
The files uploaded are improved:
1.) I added the slit (so pictures can be changed), also
2.) created some side bit which could hold the screen in place on the stand (preventing the screen from sliding sideways).