Omega From Fortnite Wall Art




About: We love to create and we love trying new things. As we learn and grow we want to share our experiences with you and hopefully inspire you in some small way.

Our kids love the game Fortnite, as do most kids at the moment. So, we decided to make them a couple of pieces of wall art for their bedrooms. Our first go at it is Omega, which I am told is the most popular at this moment. I have no idea though.

In this ible I will take you through the steps of how I made this small wall art using our X-Carve CNC and also provide you withthe pattern to do so yourself. If you don't have a CNC you could also turn the pattern for this into a scroll saw pattern, but you would need to leave out some of the finer details.

Here is a video overview of how I did it if you are interested.


Step 1: Path 1 - the Clearing Path

I left out the steps where I loaded the file into the Gcode sender, since everyone does it differently and uses different programs. I will say that I used UGS (Universal Gcode Sender) to deliver the code. I created the pattern in Inkscape using a screenshot from the game.

The material used was .5 inch MDF.

The first path is a clearing path and removes the bulk of the flat surface depth. I set this depth to .033 inches. In hindsight, I should have went a bit deeper, but we'll get to that.

This pocket path runs with a 1/8" spiral upcut bit. This took about 15 minutes.

Step 2: Path 2 - the Detail Path

This path was set to be carved with a 60 degree 1/8" v-bit. This helped get all of the fine details I was going for. I had a 1/16" straight bit, but the preview didn't look like what I was going for.

This path took roughly 90 minutes.

Step 3: Path 3 - the Cutout Path

This toolpath released the design from the material and gave it a nice fluid border. This path was done with the same bit from path 1, but was set to cut through at .510 inches and had 1/4" tabs in place to keep it secure.

Once the path was done I took it to the band saw and cut off the remaining tabs. I also did a very light sanding with 240-grit sandpaper to remove any burrs.

This path took roughly 2 minutes.

Step 4: Coloring

I first sprayed the entire piece with a clear coat. This makes get the top layer of paint off much easier.

Once the clear coat dried, I sprayed it with a semi-gloss black, making sure to fill in all the low spots with paint.

I let it dry overnight.

Step 5: Removing the Paint

To remove the top layer of paint on the raised surfaces, I first used 80-grit sandpaper with light passes to get the majority of the paint off. Then I came back to it with 220-grit sandpaper to remove the rest. After that I blew off the dust that was left over with a few blasts of air.

In hindsight, I should have cut the pocket paths a bit deeper. When sanding, I actually scuffed the recessed surfaces a few times. It wasn't anything major, but lesson learned.

Step 6: Finishing

The last thing to do was cover the whole thing in a clear finish. I did this using the same clear spray I used previously.

We will hang this with 3M poster tabs since it is not very heavy.

The kids love it, so I am happy.



    • Fandom Contest

      Fandom Contest
    • Classroom Science Contest

      Classroom Science Contest
    • Woodworking Contest

      Woodworking Contest


    Random Hacks

    Tip 11 months ago

    Great video! You could maybe try to incorporate resin into this project, and you could even have glow-in-the-dark resin for the eyes of the Raven. I can't wait to see how it turns out!