Introduction: Operating the Cold Saw
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette for cutting and shaping parts on the cold saw.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the vise and extension tables.
- Set the blade speed.
- Rotate the saw for a miter cut if needed.
- Adjust the vise jaws if needed.
- The blade should be 1/4" to 1/2" from the jaws.
- Tightly clamp the work in the vise
Making the Cut
- Pull the handle down towards the material and pull the trigger.
- Wait for the coolant to flow.
- Do not cut with a dry blade.
- Gently kiss the material with the blade.
- After the cut starts, put more pressure on the handle.
- Be gentle. Excessive force will damage the blade, and not help cutting speed.
- Release the trigger when the cut is complete.
- Gently return the handle to the top.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Use Simple Green and shop rags on coolant spills.
- Place the dirty rags in the red step cans for laundering.
- Recycle scraps and put reusable pieces in the storage bin in the metal shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Enjoy the cold saw safely!